Friday, December 01, 2006

Thimbles and Advent

I love thimbles. I love Advent. For December I want to combine the two and post pictures of Christmas-y thimbles and my favorite Christmas writings. So...

The Holy Night

We sate among the stalls at Bethlehem;
The dumb kine from their fodder turning them,
Softened their horn'd faces,
To almost human gazes
Toward the newly Born:
The simple shepherds from the star-lit brooks
Brought visionary looks,
As yet in their astonished hearing rung
The strange sweet angel-tongue:
The magi of the East, in sandals worn,
Knelt reverent, sweeping round,
With long pale beards, their gifts upon the ground,
The incense, myrrh, and gold
These baby hands were impotent to hold:
So let all earthlies and celestials wait
Upon thy royal state.
Sleep, sleep, my kingly One!
--Elizabeth Barrett Browning

The thimbles are from Shopshannon.com.

No comments: