Monday, October 16, 2006

Thou Thimble!


The Taming of the Shrew, Act 4, Scene 3
Petruchio: O monstrous arrogance! Thou liest, thou thread, Thou thimble,
Thou yard, three-quarters, half-yard, quarter, nail!
Thou flea, thou nit, thou winter-cricket thou!
Brav’d in mine own house with a skein of thread!
Away! thou rag, thou quantity, thou remnant,
Or I shall so be-mete thee with thy yard
As thou shalt think on prating whilst thou liv’st!
I tell thee, I, that thou hast marr’d her gown.

Later in the same scene. . .
Grumio: Error i' the bill, sir;
error i' the bill.
I commanded the sleeves should be cut out and
sewed up again; and that I'll prove upon thee
though thy little finger be armed in a thimble.

The bone china thimble pictured above is available from Globe Shop for £3.50 (US$6.52) plus S/H.

No comments: